I am so excited about bananas!!!
I love bananas, they are perfect to eat with yogurt or cereal, and they really fill you up. I especially like them for the potassium, every time I feel a leg cramp coming on, that’s my first go to. I love my bananas with a bit of green still on them, for me that’s the sweetest they can be. I know some people like them better when they are ripe with black spots on them, what is your go-to banana ripeness?
While you are thinking of your banana ripeness factor, I have this amazing pie for you. My mom has been making banana cream pie for years, it’s a family favorite. It’s really simple too. This pie is essentially my mom’s recipe, but I added a layer of chocolate ganache on the bottom. Chocolate ganache has been kind of my thing lately. I mean, what is better that chocolate?
So this pie is not the only thing I am excited about. I am going to Texas in just a few days, and we are road tripping it all the way there and back. I cannot wait to have a vacation, even though it will be a lot of driving. Even though I have been through Texas before, I always see different things every time. I think this time, I will count how many tarantulas we see on the road. As long as they stay outside the car, I’m good with that.
I am starting to think about road trip snacks and since I can’t take this pie, I have to think about more transportable items. I have applesauce, granola bars and trail mix. Any other thoughts? I have to keep in mind, its going to be hot so whatever it is can’t melt. I also have a huge jug of water just to make sure we all stay hydrated in this summer weather.
Well while you are considering your summer trips, you should make this pie. It was over 90 degrees here yesterday and all I wanted to eat was anything cool. Pudding and whipped cream definitely fits the bill of cool eating. It also includes only fifteen minutes of actual cooking. I can deal with that. Slice yourself a piece of this pie and indulge in a cold chocolate laced banana pie bite.
- 2 frozen pie crusts
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 bananas sliced into 1/8 inch disks
- 5.1 ounce package instant banana pudding
- 16 ounces whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings and chopped walnuts for garnish
- Prebake the pie crusts in a 375 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until lightly brown. Let cool.
- Heat chocolate chips and heavy cream over a low heat, stirring constantly until chocolate is completely melted. Pour half into the bottom of each cooked pie shell. Layer banana slices all over the chocolate in one layer.
- Mix up the banana pudding according to package directions. Pour half into each pie shell. Refrigerate until set about 15 minutes or up to overnight. Top each pie with half of the whipped cream, and garnish with chocolate and walnuts.