Happy Fourth of July!!!
I think this holiday is really the best one to celebrate pretty much everything. Most other holidays involve gifts or costumes or something in order to celebrate properly. In the case of July fourth, we just blow stuff up!
I don’t really need an excuse to cook fun treats for celebrations since I like to do it all the time anyways. We have a pretty big party at our house on the fourth. Years ago our city allowed the legal fireworks, but then right when I got old enough to organize parties myself, the city made it illegal. I was very sad. I spent those years searching out a great fireworks show nearby but it was always really crowded. Then only a couple years ago the city reinstated the safe and sane fireworks law, I was thrilled!
I have always been the one to want to either light fireworks myself and watch them only a couple feet away, or I want to be lying on the grass having massive fireworks boom above my head. Even better would be to have both, which has happened when I was a kid up on vacation in Bishop, California – but that is a whole other story.
When we moved to our current home, we were not really sure what to expect for holiday celebrations. Halloween is a sad bust, but fourth of July? Oh my gosh, I have never seen the craziness that ensues from our street. Constant legal fireworks that create an almost permanent smoke cloud, intermixed with questionable legal fireworks, plus great food and a distant fireworks show make it one of the loudest nights around.
Food wise for the fourth, I am planning on making a veggies loaded pasta salad, bbq’ed chili dogs and these Strawberry Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes. They are light and summery, plus are a great bite while lighting off fireworks. I had initially made these for my sister in law to be’s bridal shower and they were a huge hit! I found out Boston Cream Pie was one of her favorite desserts which was so lucky because its my mom’s favorite too. Thankfully I have made the dessert a time or two so adding the strawberries was a fun twist.
I am sure you already ave your fourth party all planned out, but summer has barely begun, this is the perfect dessert to make the next time you have a simple summer barbeque. Maybe try a different flavor like raspberry or peach? Mmmmm now you got me thinking!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 3.4 ounce box instant vanilla pudding
- ¾ cups strawberries, chopped small
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Strawberries, garnish
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions and bake as mini cupcakes with no paper shell.
- Prepare vanilla pudding according to package directions. Before refrigerating, mix in strawberries, then let set.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine chocolate chips and cream. Stir constantly until the chocolate is just melted. Remove from heat.
- Cut the caps off the top of the cupcakes. Scoop one teaspoon of pudding onto the bottom of the cupcake and top with the cap. Spoon a small spoonful of chocolate on top of the cupcake and garnish with strawberries.