Who doesn’t love tacos or pizza? I have a great idea, let’s combine them!
As I try to find the right ingredients to feature on my blog, I kept going back to ground beef. At first I thought it would be difficult, but I kept finding pounds of ground beef on sale at the grocery store and it was filling up my freezer. Do you shop in the meat manager section like I do? Many times they have awesome deals on all kinds of protein. I have been perusing that section for years and I have learned a few things. First off, if the meat looks funky just don’t buy it. If it looks good, then either eat it right away or freeze it. I have gotten some gorgeous lamb legs and pork chops as well as tons of bacon and ground beef. Just check back often because that’s the only way you will find the good stuff.
I actually use ground beef, pork and turkey for a lot of different recipes. I realized after some thought, I easily could create three amazing recipes for you to use the next time your supermarket puts ground beef on sale! Now keep in mind, if you don’t eat red meat, all three of these recipes can be made with ground chicken or turkey, just compensate on the cooking times to make sure they are completely cooked through.
So you already have My Mom’s Meatloaf recipe – which is amazing! If you have a hesitancy for meatloaf then it will change your entire concept of meatloaf. Just go for it! If you have had your fill of meatloaf then I have two other dishes for you to try. All of them are really easy and filling this week so I think you are set for dinners for awhile. The next one I want to introduce you to is this taco pizza.
Sort of brilliant I know, I’m not sure why taco pizzas aren’t sweeping the nation. What’s not to like about spicy ground beef, ooey gooey melted cheese and all the taco toppings you could want. The best part? I crumbled tortilla chips over the top to give that distinctive crunch. It was a brilliant move, it tasted exactly like tacos… on a pizza!
I really wanted to top my taco pizza with a giant spoonful of guacamole, but all the avocados at the store were rock hard. So instead I turned to what I already had. I love when I can use random things in my fridge to enhance dishes that I make. In this case I added a dollop of sour cream to my taco pizza, but I also topped it with a kick from my Homemade Roasted Hot Sauce. It added such a burst of flavor and spice, it was perfect!
This is such a great weeknight dinner too, because it doesn’t take long to cook the ground beef, so all the cook time really is the melting of the cheese. It’s a big hit with the kids too, my teenager was thrilled with the taco pizza and determined I have to make it again. I call that a success!
- 1 homemade or store bought pizza crust
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 can (10 ounce) can red chili sauce
- 16 ounces shredded mexican cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Toppings: lettuce, tomatoes, onions, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, hot sauce etc.
- Brown meat in a large skillet until no longer pink. Mix in onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin and red chili sauce. Simmer another 2 -3 minutes, remove from heat.
- Pre bake homemade pizza dough (no need to reheat store bought dough) at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes or until it just starts to brown. Remove from the oven and top with spiced meat and sprinkle generously with cheese. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let cool for a couple of minutes, add toppings, slice and serve.